What is Dry Needling Acupuncture?
Dry needling Acupuncture, also known as myofascial dry needling or biomedical acupuncture, involves inserting acupuncture needles into soft tissues such as muscles, fascia, ligaments and tendons. It can be helpful in releasing chronically tight muscles and also muscles in spasm.
Dry needling works by increasing blood supply to the tissue in much the same way as massage. The needle is much finer and more accurate than a thumb so it can be a very precise and powerful technique.
The technique is different from acupuncture in that it is based on western anatomy and medicine and not Chinese medicine. It is based purely on musculoskeletal conditions and won’t be used for treating other conditions as acupuncture can be.
- The needle is inserted into the muscle and a twitch response is illicited from the muscle. This twitch means that the muscle is ‘releasing’ and the needling will continue to be manipulated until the twitch ceases. A referral pattern may also be experienced during treatment from the trigger point.
- A twisting of the needle can also elicit a referral sensation and also provide a myofascial stretch to the tissue.
- Dry needling provided by highly qualified practitioners such as at Muscle Therapy Australia is a safe and effective treatment of chronic and acute pain.
- Dry needling can be the key to creating change in your chronic pain. If you’ve tried everything then you need to try dry needling.
- Dry needling can be effective for the treatment of: chronic pain, headaches, muscle pain or spasm, tendonitis, shoulder impingement, back pain, neck pain, knee pain, hip pain, ankle pain, wrist and hand pain, elbow pain, TMJ, or jaw pain.
- Trigger point therapy involves using pressure and release techniques to deactivate sensitive points in muscle fibres. These trigger points are renowned for referring pain into another area of the body. An example of this is a trigger point in muscles of the neck can refer pain into the head giving you the sensation of a headache. The root cause of this will actually be the trigger point in the neck. Releasing this trigger point will end the headache.
What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medicine that has been practiced for thousands of years. Modern acupuncture retains many elements of the traditional practice and combines them with our current understanding of anatomy and neurophysiology.
Acupuncture works by inserting very fine needles into specific on the body that lie within channels known as meridians. If these meridians become clogged or blocked, you may experience pain, stiffness or tingling in certain areas of your body.
To remove these blockages, we use acupuncture to stimulate acupuncture points, which releases endorphins, triggers anti-inflammatory responses and activates your body’s natural healing processes.
What can be treated with acupuncture?
Acupuncture supports your body’s natural ability to heal, which means it can be used to treat a wide range of injuries and conditions. Acupuncture can help with:
- Musculoskeletal injuries, including injuries of the neck, shoulder, lower back, knee and ankle
- Digestive issues
- Sleep Disorders
- Weight Management
- Morning sickness & other pregnancy related symptoms
- High and low blood pressure
Do I need a doctor's referral to book an appointment?
A referral from a doctor is no longer needed before seeing a physiotherapist. You may be asked by your insurance company to get a referral before seeing a physiotherapist, but it is not common. People are usually able to schedule an appointment directly with the physiotherapist.
- Book Online
- Call +1 403-995-2273 us to book your appointment
- Email us at [email protected]
Physiotherapy, Massage, Chiropractor Okotoks, High River AB
South Calgary, Black Diamond & Turner Valley
The Physio Care Okotoks- Physiotherapy, Chiropractic & Massage is off of Highway 2A and Southridge Drive Okotoks. We’re right Fatburger Okotoks, Ricky’s Okotoks opposite to Sobeys Pharmacy Okotoks. Located near Scotiabank Okotoks, Canadian Tire Okotoks and Walmart Okotoks. In the same parking lot as Ricky’s Okotoks and Fatburger Okotoks.
Our convenient location is just 10 minutes from Black Diamond and Turner Valley, and 15 minutes from High River and Calgary. We have plenty of parking available.